[Michlib-l] Lock Suggestions for Kits

Amanda Pfister (Roseville Public Library) apfister at roseville-mi.gov
Wed Jun 21 10:49:54 EDT 2023

Hello,

Our library has Early Literacy kits and STEM kits available for patrons to check out with some adult kits on the way. We were using zip ties as a means of locking the kits to deter patrons from using them in the library. This was working for the most part but we had an incident the other day where a child opened multiple kits and the library staff had to spend a great deal of time finding the scattered pieces and putting the kits back together in the correct bags.

I was wondering if any other libraries have found a good way to have their kits displayed but still keeping them locked so patrons cannot use them until after checking them out. Our literacy kits are in clear plastic bags and our STEM kits are in clear plastic Sterilite boxes. I've attached pictures of each kit so you can see what we were doing.

We don't have the space to keep them behind the counters and unfortunately with our youth desk being unmanned most of the time, we are worried that this may happen more often.

If anyone has any suggestions, please pass them along.

Thank you,

Amanda Pfister
Youth Services Librarian
Roseville Public Library