[Michlib-l] Lock Suggestions for Kits

Amelia Chea achea at hackleylibrary.org
Wed Jun 21 11:30:53 EDT 2023

Hi,

We used to lock our book club bags. I don't know who bought them and where
they got it from, but I found similar ones on shein here:
https://us.shein.com/Metal-Mini-Dial-Digits-Code-Lock-Padlock-Suitcase-Combination-Padlock-Safety-Travel-Security-For-Luggage-TSA-Approved-Cable-Luggage-Locks-for-Luggage-Suitcase-Carry-On-Backpack-Laptop-Bag-or-Purse-p-16869591-cat-4289.html?main_attr=27_601&mallCode=1

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 11:14 AM Amanda Pfister (Roseville Public Library)
via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our library has Early Literacy kits and STEM kits available for patrons to
> check out with some adult kits on the way. We were using zip ties as a
> means of locking the kits to deter patrons from using them in the library.
> This was working for the most part but we had an incident the other day
> where a child opened multiple kits and the library staff had to spend a
> great deal of time finding the scattered pieces and putting the kits back
> together in the correct bags.
>
> I was wondering if any other libraries have found a good way to have their
> kits displayed but still keeping them locked so patrons cannot use them
> until after checking them out. Our literacy kits are in clear plastic bags
> and our STEM kits are in clear plastic Sterilite boxes. I've attached
> pictures of each kit so you can see what we were doing.
>
> We don't have the space to keep them behind the counters and unfortunately
> with our youth desk being unmanned most of the time, we are worried that
> this may happen more often.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, please pass them along.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Amanda Pfister
> Youth Services Librarian
> Roseville Public Library
> (586) 447-4553

Amelia Chea (*she/her)*
Adult Services Librarian
231-722-8000 |  hackleylibrary.org
316 W. Webster Ave.  |  Muskegon, MI 49440