[Michlib-l] Youth & Teen Services Updates

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri Mar 3 13:49:01 EST 2023

READsquared Trainings
All MI public libraries are invited to subscribe to READsquared provided by the Library of Michigan and supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services. If your library does not already have an account, go to: https://mistate.readsquared.com/Signup.aspx?State=MI#! to request one.
Onboarding Webinars - No registration required*
Onboardings cover all the basics of setting up your READsquared site. These sessions are designed for new READsquared customers or new library staff using READsquared for the first time.
March 22, Wednesday, 1:00 pm EST
May 2, Tuesday, 10:30 am EST
Refresher Training Webinars - No registration required*
Refresher trainings are best for those who have used READsquared in the past and want to prepare for upcoming summer programs and possibly add more features to their site. These sessions will cover the new theme, site updates, marketing, and advanced features.
April 4, Tuesday, 10:30 am EST
April 19, Wednesday, 1:00 pm EST
*You can choose from any of the above sessions and use this link to join:  https://join.me/READsquaredTraining
For the best audio experience, we recommend dialing in by phone as well: New York, NY +1.646.307.1990 Conference ID: 518-509-521 #
Recorded Trainings:
If you cannot attend any of the sessions, you can always access a pre-recorded training in the knowledgebase: https://portal.readsquared.com/r2kb/Article.aspx?id=10008. Unlimited support is included in your subscription so please do not hesitate to email our support team (support at r2stg.zohosupport.com<mailto:support at r2stg.zohosupport.com>) with any questions or if you need one-on-one training.
SEAL: Solar Eclipse Activities for Libraries
Two solar eclipses are coming to North America - an Annular Eclipse in 2023 and a Total Solar Eclipse in 2024 - and it's time for public library staff to get ready! Thanks to a grant from the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation and a supplement to the NASA at My Library Project, the Space Science Institute's STAR Net team is providing 5 million solar viewing glasses, in-person training workshops, solar science circulation kits, print resources,~10,000 public libraries and 55 state library agencies across the nation. To learn more about the project, including how to register your library for free solar eclipse glasses, visit: www.starnetlibraries.org/about/our-projects/solar-eclipse-activities-libraries-seal/<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.starnetlibraries.org%2Fabout%2Four-projects%2Fsolar-eclipse-activities-libraries-seal%2F&data=05%7C01%7Clancasterc5%40michigan.gov%7Cdd8e33be2a3b4b9be57b08db14227809%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C638125911063875732%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ds3RGCyl8kBp273sZGHedqmZFtm%2Bn7Qr3UbesZ9R44A%3D&reserved=0>.

STAR Net is also offering 2 workshops in Michigan for public library staff!
SEAL: Solar Eclipse Activities for Libraries with STAR Net
These SEAL workshops will prepare and empower public library staff to facilitate meaningful solar and space science programs for their patrons that build curiosity, knowledge and inspiration. Attendees will receive hands-on training on operating solar telescopes and other methods for direct and indirect solar viewing, best practices for developing and facilitating STEM programs, and how to engage with community partners and library-specific digital resource networks. Attendees will also be able to sign up for free solar eclipse glasses to distribute to their communities in advance of both eclipses! STAR Net facilitators, bringing many years of experience building the STEM capacity of public library staff, will work with each state library to customize the workshop experience based on the needs and interests of public libraries within that state.
Space is extremely limited, so register now for these FREE workshops with STAR Net:
Wednesday, April 19, 2023, from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flibraryofmichigan.app.neoncrm.com%2Fnp%2Fclients%2Flibraryofmichigan%2Fevent.jsp%3Fevent%3D2987%26&data=05%7C01%7Clancasterc5%40michigan.gov%7Cdd8e33be2a3b4b9be57b08db14227809%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C638125911063875732%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=1UarCrShw%2FJKoiUxT1wiUvFIVYj6JBicznOF48DuCFY%3D&reserved=0> at the Delta Township District Library, 5130 Davenport Dr., Lansing, MI 48917
Thursday, April 20, 2023, from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flibraryofmichigan.app.neoncrm.com%2Fnp%2Fclients%2Flibraryofmichigan%2Fevent.jsp%3Fevent%3D2992&data=05%7C01%7Clancasterc5%40michigan.gov%7Cdd8e33be2a3b4b9be57b08db14227809%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C638125911063875732%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=vBv4AhEpJYCuGIwO23UlbF1DQ97fK5x%2FVZkJ74Q7EGA%3D&reserved=0> at the Charlevoix Public Library, 220 Clinton St., Charlevoix Mi 49720
Lunch will be provided, however due to limited space we will be offering a waitlist. If you register and cannot attend, please notify the Library of Michigan at least 72 hours in advance.
Resources
MLA
Mental Health and Well-Being: Dealing with Difficult Patrons
March 14, 2023
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Library workers on the front lines have faced mounting challenges over the last few years. How have you been able to manage? How does a trauma-informed approach impact this work?
Dr. Abigail L. Phillips from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee will uncover the impacts of the pandemic on library staff and how tough interactions and the demands of the job can contribute to burnout and offer suggestions and strategies that staff and library leaders can use to be proactive about the future. Participants will learn how the Kalamazoo Public Library (KPL) used a trauma-informed approach to their code of conduct, incident reporting system, supervisor follow-up, suspension guidelines, and security guard onboarding. Since making these changes, KPL staff have self-reported that adverse interactions with patrons have become less severe. MLA Connect webinars are only $25 for MLA members!

All Together Now - Citizen Science in Your Summer Reading Program
March 29, 2023
2:00 - 3:00 PM
Citizen Science is an official CSLP Partner. This year's theme All in Together Now ties in perfectly with Citizen Science and the resources developed by the National Citizen and Community Science Library. Join us to learn more about preparing for the 2023 Summer Reading using Citizen Science. Learn more at: https://scistarter.org/all-together-now-citizen-science-in-your-summer-re.

Brain-Building Through Play: Activities for Infants, Toddlers and Children<https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/brainbuildingthroughplay/>
Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University
>From infancy on, play is an important part of a child's life. For babies and toddlers, simple, playful interactions with adults help develop sturdy brain architecture<https://developingchild.harvard.edu/science/key-concepts/brain-architecture/>, the foundations of lifelong health<https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/inbrief-the-foundations-of-lifelong-health-video/>, and the building blocks of resilience<https://developingchild.harvard.edu/science/key-concepts/resilience/>. Through games and playful activities, children can practice and strengthen important executive function<https://developingchild.harvard.edu/guide/a-guide-to-executive-function/> skills that will help them throughout their lives, including learning to focus their attention, strengthening their working memory, and developing basic self-control. This handout series<https://developingchild.harvard.edu/resources/brainbuildingthroughplay/>, developed with support from the LEGO Foundation, provides suggestions for games and play-based activities based on a child's age. The activities for younger children are designed for adults to engage in with children. Activities for later ages allow the adults to step back, enabling children's independence to blossom as they transition to playing more often with peers.

National Ambassador for Young People's Literature
Deadline to apply to host Meg Medina<https://everychildareader.net/ambassador/current/> has been extended!  March 14th is the new due date for proposals. Details can be found here: https://everychildareader.net/ambassador/events/.
In the News...
Books To Help Teenagers Struggling With Stress and Anxiety<https://www.readbrightly.com/books-to-help-teenagers-struggling-with-stress-and-anxiety> - Brightly, 3/3/23
Civic Imagination Stations: Libraries accelerate community transformation<https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2023/03/01/civic-imagination-stations/> - American Libraries, 3/1/23

Stay safe in the snow!
Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48915
My Pronouns: She/Her/Hers - See www.mypronouns.org<http://www.mypronouns.org/> to learn more.
LancasterC5 at michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at michigan.gov> | 517-335-8129 | www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/libraryofmichigan/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/libraryofmich> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/libraryofmichigan/>

Join the MiYouth<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail2.mcls.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fmiyouth&data=02%7C01%7CNorrisS2%40michigan.gov%7Caf51448f1e92415533aa08d6f4b53328%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C636965456410852648&sdata=nModcBWFyzGoDGK%2FtwsSeAXV%2F85AQKEtzzQQj%2FV%2B5fM%3D&reserved=0> Listserv, created for Michigan public library staff to share and discuss children and teen programming and services.

Having a diverse selection of reading materials for all ages builds literacy skills, engagement, and greater understanding.
[cid:image001.png at 01D94DD6.8A24D4F0]