[Michlib-l] Book banning and employment contracts

Lance Werner LWerner at kdl.org
Mon Mar 6 11:31:49 EST 2023

Good morning!

We have been dealing with a tidal wave of book challenges. I have held off efforts (through my political connections) to place book banning advocates on the Kent District Library (KDL) Board of Trustees. Unfortunately, I am sure it is only a matter of time before we have book banning advocates on our board. I have been training everyone internally and throughout Michigan on effectively addressing book bans. I have a leg up. I am an attorney with a special emphasis on library law.

One of my goals is to do everything that I can to hinder book banning efforts throughout the state. It is the most important work of my career. As a means to that end, it occurred to me that bad behavior requires stiff consequences. I am in favor of hitting the opposition in the pocket book. I theorize that many of the book banning advocates are also on the cheap side. In fact, it has been my experience in West Michigan that cheap trumps (no pun intended) bigotry. So I have modified, and more importantly the KDL Board has modified, my employment contract.

My contract now says that if I should get fired for refusing to comply with an unconstitutional book banning request or anything else that is unconstitutional, I will receive treble severance. It will amount to four years of severance to be paid out in a lump sum. It will also create negative media for the book banning advocates and will draw attention to the issue. It is meant as a deterrent. I have the same employment clauses in place for the entire leadership team. Our collection development and programming departments are protected by the union.

The idea is to make bad decisions and actions extremely expensive. It is an insurance policy and I can fearlessly fight for our constitutional rights. As can the leadership team.

I have attached the applicable sections for your information and hopefully use. The lowest level of behavior we accept is the highest we can expect and require. This issue will continue unless we fight for every millimeter. Anything that we lose will be gone.

Good luck my friends,

Lance Werner
Executive Director
Kent District Library