[Michlib-l] Announcing: Michigan Learning Channel's The Career Center! 🎉

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Tue May 2 09:57:16 EDT 2023

 [cid:c74418cd-9bd3-41d5-8443-f6024ebeebdd]

I am so excited to be reaching out today to announce the premiere of our new career exploration and 21st century learning show, The Career Center<https://www.michiganlearning.org/show/the-career-center/>! This program will feature teen-led visits to workplaces across Michigan, interviews with experts and professionals in a variety of fields, exploratory career pathways videos, 21st century skills segments, and real conversations with our resident career educator Ms. Pisani! We are looking forward to sharing 13 half-hour episodes on the Michigan Learning Channel, and we are in the process of developing educator toolkits and a full curriculum for the 2024-25 school year to help students navigate career exploration and more in a variety of contexts (more on that coming very soon!)

The first episode of The Career Center launches on the Michigan Learning Channel on May 1. Viewers can tune in live to our broadcast channel statewide, watch the livestream<https://www.michiganlearning.org/live-tv/> on our website, or view the episode on demand<https://www.michiganlearning.org/show/the-career-center/> after the premiere on any of our platforms. I am reaching out to ask if you can share this new production within your networks because we are proud of it and we want as many young people to see it as possible. Even a brief email or social media post can go a long way to bring educators, families, and young people to this program where they might learn something or get excited about a career they hadn’t considered or had enough information about – and maybe even inspire them to learn more<https://www.mifutureofwork.org/>!

To help make sharing as easy as possible, we have created a toolkit<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tewGwyIcdZvV6yJ6vCmHpCGVBox-pvybx-UZyJVgPKI/edit?usp=sharing> with photos, videos, and sample copy for social media and newsletter/email sharing. Please feel free to use anything that we have created and to adapt as needed. We appreciate your willingness to share! Check out our series promo video here<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMrBPnDEyak>, too!

The episode listing and airdates are below – we will also be updating digital content and assets over the next few months, so please let me know if you’d like additional resources for sharing or engaging with any of the specific episodes.

Episode 101: Early Childhood Careers (airs 5/1)
Episode 102: Careers in Sports and Athletics (airs 5/8)
Episode 103: Building Trades (airs 5/15)
Episode 104: Transportation Jobs (airs 5/22)
Episode 105: High Tech Manufacturing Careers (airs 5/29)
Episode 106: Healthcare Careers (airs 6/5)
Episode 107: Public Service (airs 6/12)
Episode 108: Automotive Careers (airs 6/19)
Episode 109: Small Scale Manufacturing (airs 6/26)
Episode 110: Information Technology (airs 7/3)
Episode 111: Entrepreneurship (airs (7/10)
Episode 112: Design Careers (airs 7/17)
Episode 113: Emerging Careers (airs 7/24)

I would love to be in touch about how this program can be useful to your communities and how we can partner to maximize impact for young people in Michigan. Please reach out if you have feedback or ideas, or if you’d like to participate in ongoing development of educational content that will support bringing this program to schools, libraries, and out-of-school organizations across the state.

Thank you for all that you do!

Matt Hamilton (he/they) learn about pronouns here!<https://pronouns.org/>

Program Director, Michigan Learning Channel

Join our growing teacher community: www.michiganlearning.org/LABS<http://www.michiganlearning.org/LABS>
Click here to book a spot on my calendar where we can dream, innovate, and plan together<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/MattHamiltonsCalendar@dptv.org/bookings/>.

[Learn more about the new Michigan Learning Channel]<https://www.michiganlearning.org/?emailsig>

Partnering with teachers and families. On TV. Online. Statewide.
Visit MichiganLearning.org and Watch Live<https://www.michiganlearning.org/?emailsig>