[Michlib-l] Hotspot lending

Shirley Curtis shirleyjane007 at gmail.com
Wed May 31 10:28:12 EDT 2023

We currently use Verizon service as our vendor for hotspots.  Monthly cost
is $29.99 per hotspot per month for unlimited data.  The cost is going up
to $36.00 per month.  We have a large number of hotpots available for
checkout but with increase in cost and the loss of funding from the grant
that we used to fund them, the ongoing cost is unaffordable.  They are very
popular, and we are trying to figure out lending policies with the
limited number that we will have to reduce down to. Most likely reducing
the lending time and not allowing renewal after so many times (some patrons
have had them out for more than a year and just keep renewing), as well as
limiting it to one hotspot per household (some families in one household
borrow more than one hotspot).

Are there specific borrowing policies that helped with similar issues?  Or
have any libraries stopped lending hotspots because of similar issues.
Lastly, are any other libraries getting a better price?  Any other advice
is welcome.