[Michlib-l] registrations/managing no-shows

Deb Hemmye dhemmye at hwoodslib.org
Mon Nov 13 15:53:20 EST 2023

We had a children's program two summers ago with 60 registrants and about 15-20 on the wait list and on the day of, about 20 kids showed up. We made some changes.

First, we do not post our children's events more than one month out. We had a few (or more than a few) families who seemed to register for everything up front with barely a shrug and then decide later if it actually fits into their schedule.

Second, a week or a week and a half before the event, we email all the registrants and ask them to confirm, notifying them that if they don't confirm we will (and do) cancel their registration. I don't believe we have ever had anyone complain that their registration was cancelled, but we have had several registrants tell us that their plans had changed and we were able to move people up from the waiting list.

In the same email, and also in a separate email to the waiting list folks, we explain that we will hold their seats only until the start time of the event, If they are not present, we will allow people on the waiting list to attend.

We also started having a page at each event with a clipboard and the registration list checking off names. We hadn't done that before.

In the beginning, this took a few emails to get everyone to confirm, and also for people to know our new policy, but now it's much more straight forward and requires much less time.

Until just recently, we had only done this for children's programs, as our adult programs rarely had a waiting list. But we now find ourselves in that situation even for adult programs sometimes, so we are implementing this process for them, too. For adults, I am insistent that we do not require registration for any adult programs unless they truly have a maximum number who can attend - like an art class with finite supplies, a cooking class, etc. All lecture-type events we advertise as "registration is helpful or encouraged, but not required." This is also a change from our prior policy.

Last, one lingering problem we have is one or two families who consistently confirm and then still don't show. We are considering taking the drastic step of basically banning them from children's programming for 90 days or something. (At their friendly library!) We're obv trying to find a gentle way to say that, or to come up with a better solution, but it remains a problem.

Deb Hemmye (she, her)
Library Director
Huntington Woods Public Library
26415 Scotia Road