[Michlib-l] Reference Section

Deb Hemmye dhemmye at hwoodslib.org
Thu Oct 19 10:14:17 EDT 2023

We are on the small side of a Class III library and when I started 18 months ago, one of the first things I did was to cut our reference section more than in half. It now takes up two columns of shelf space - about 10-12 shelves??? We then updated a few of the titles and moved others to the circulating collection.

Space is also at a big premium for us, too, so m y personal preference would be to ditch the entire thing. I honestly don't think anyone comes to the library for printed reference materials any more, but I don't know that for a fact and not all my staff agrees with me. So for now, we have two columns of reference at the back of the library. :\

Deb Hemmye (she, her)
Library Director
Huntington Woods Public Library
26415 Scotia Road