[Michlib-l] iPads, AWE, or something else responses

Killian Weston killianweston at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 10:23:35 EDT 2023

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much to everyone who responded! We haven't made any decisions,
but definitely have some other options to look into. So many people were
curious about the responses, so here they are!

Killian Weston
Youth Services Librarian
Bloomfield Township Public Library
----

*Oak Park:*
Auburn Hills has a great AWE-alternative, that frankly we would have
probably purchased had we known about them. I don't recall the brand, but
they tell us it's better than AWE. Give them a call [image: 🙂]

We don't care for our AWE machines - even the new one we have is far too
complicated to use and service.

*Berkley Public Library (2 responses):*
We replaced our AWE with a new AWE about a year ago and it has been pretty
horrible. Very glitchy, lots of games that you can't get out of to get back
to the main menu once you're in them, lots of freezing and crashing,
decreased options/functionality for reports of usage statistics,
troubleshooting, etc.

We're currently planning to limp along with it long enough to not make the
donor feel like it was a waste, and then replace it with something else. I
had been thinking iPads might be next but based on your experience maybe
not, so I'd definitely be interested in any other options you hear about
from other libraries.

We haven't been too impressed with the AWE machine we bought a couple of
years ago. We liked our older machine but this new one is pretty clunky and
glitchy. I think it will be our last.

*Northville District Library:*
We just went through the same considerations, but I found that if we
deployed ipads, it was going to take up a ton of time that our IT
Department simply does not have to spare. Therefore, we did invest in new
AWE systems, and our patrons have been extremely happy with the updates
that AWE has made to their systems.

I'm also finding the systems MUCH easier to work with on the back end as
well.

*Salem Township Library:*

We just started using a program called Magic Desktop and our patrons love
it! We've only had it for a couple of months, so I can't comment on the
service/experience with the company just yet. But so far, so good.

We have two touch screen computers, so no mouse and keypad are needed; but
you can have that as an option as well. It's geared for ages 2-12. It's
also set up with parental controls so we can set what the kids have access
to with one master password. We turn the computer on and it loads the
program automatically. (It runs like a kid's desktop.) It's full of games
and activities, and like I mentioned, our patrons are loving it so far.
Besides the initial cost of the computers, the only fee is the annual
subscription.

*Muskegon Area District Library:*

I would stay away from the AWE computers. We have 13 of them (desktop
all-in-ones) across 11 locations and we just purchased new ones last year.
They have been nothing but problems for us. They constantly freeze, go to
blue screens, get stuck in games, crash, etc. We have worked directly with
the techs and CEO of the company and they constantly just keep saying that
they have a new update that will fix them. After applying roughly 10
updates now, they continue to have the same issues. They claim that the new
V3 they are working on will fix everything but I am not holding my breath.
At $6,000+ a piece I cannot in good conscience recommend these to anyone
any longer.

5 years ago they had a solid product that we never had issues with but for
some reason with the new ones they are selling it is nothing but issues. My
staff have gotten tired of calling me to fix them now so when they have
issues the just unplug them and plug them back in which is usually a couple
times a day.

If you get any other recommendations from other libraries please let me
know because we would like to switch to something else in the future.

*Redford Township District Library:*

We took away our iPads/Awe computers during Covid and never replaced them.
We now have more manipulatives/toys in the department and no one seems to
miss the screen time!

*Baldwin Public Library:*
We had 4 Ipads pre renovation and after the renovation we went with a play
table. they're expensive (like $6500) but staff (and patrons) love it.. We
went to another library to play with theirs before purchasing since the
vendor was confused and thought we were in Baldwin, Mi and cancelled our
demo last minute.

https://libraryplaytable.com/

*Cromaine Library:*

Cromaine currently has a mix of AWE and home-brewed computers that point to
certain sites, like PBS kids, ABC Mouse, etc.

*Petoskey District Library:*
We updated our older AWEs with a new version and they’re really crappy.
There’s supposedly an update that AWE hasn’t sent yet. The screens turn
black at random, they don’t turn on, the speakers/headphones seem to stop
working at random. The kids love the games when the computers work, but
it’s just been weird glitches over and over. I hope the update solves a lot
of the issues.

*T.A. Cutler Memorial Library:*

My current feelings towards the AWE company are not favorable, but the kids
like the computers—we bought two of their all-in-one computers with touch
screen, so they can be used with a mouse/keyboard or by touching the
screen. We did not buy the optional heavy-duty bases. They have a
three-year warranty, and at 5 months in they look and act like new. I hope
they last more than three years, but I don't know that I would ever order
from them again.

*Coopersville Area District Library:*
We have a couple of old AWEs, but when one of them died a few years ago, I
was unwilling to fork over the money for a new one. Instead, I purchased an
all in one touchscreen computer and loaded Magic Desktop on it:
https://www.magicdesktop.com/en-us. It has been our most used computer
since we purchased it, but it might be because our AWEs are just older and
have more "little kiddish" games. We also have Kindle tablets that we
purchased Amazon Kids+ for and keep geared toward the different age groups.
While we have to troubleshoot or wipe and restart the profile every once
and awhile, it's been fairly low key for my staff so far.

*Tecumseh District Library:*
Tecumseh District Library has had two AWE computers with touch screens as
well as mice and keyboards in its Children Section for many years. We love
them!  The early literacy programs are geared to children up to five years
old. Children are drawn to them and we have rarely had any problems with
them.

The only thing I can think of is when we first offered the computers, the
earphones kept getting stolen, so we just quit offering them.  The
sound/noise level has not been a problem for other patrons.

The biggest annoyance, if you want to call it that, is that some of the
younger kids don't get the hang of exiting a program before they leave the
computer.  So I often hear from afar a repetitive voice (like Big Bird) or
a music cue asking for participation...I finally realize no one is at the
computer and I go and quit the program via the touch screen.  LOL

But regardless, we still LOVE our AWE computers!