[Michlib-l] request for program speakers

Julianne Novetsky jnovetsky at cityofwarren.org
Thu Sep 14 15:43:03 EDT 2023

Hello everyone!

My library was selected to be a partner with the Yiddish Book Center's Stories of Exile Reading Groups for Public Libraries program. In addition to discussing the books in this program, we are looking to host a series of guest speakers who have immigrant stories similar to many people in our community. Particularly we are interested in connecting with individuals with ties to Bangladesh, Iraq, and Ukraine, although we would be interested in other speakers as well.  Topics of the conversations may include refugee or immigrant experiences, the Ukrainian refugee crisis, the legacy of slavery/African diaspora, or even someone who can speak about homelessness and the way that it displaces individuals.  We hope that the “Stories of Exile” program can help us to foster conversations about appreciating diverse cultures that may be different from our own, while recognizing that we are all part of one human family, and that we our connected by many commonalities of experience.   I was curious as to whether anyone has hosted a speaker on the topics similar to those that I mentioned above, and if you would be willing to share their contact information with me. We are fortunate to be hosting an individual from the Zekelman Holocaust Center at our meeting next week.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Julianne Novetsky
Outreach Services
Warren Civic Center Library