[Michlib-l] Smokey the bear reading Challenge

Gallo, Biz (MDE) GalloB at michigan.gov
Thu Jan 4 09:55:41 EST 2024

Hi Stephanie,

In response to the newspaper digitization question, I have attached a list of digitization vendors below that you can explore. One of those vendors is the Clarke Historical Library, which the Library of Michigan partners with in support of the Digital Michigan Newspaper Grant Program. You can read more about the grant program at the link below, but this is the perfect time to explore digitizing local newspapers!

If you need more information on newspaper digitization in general, you can view the recording of the recent How to Pick Your (News)paper Selection, Resources, and Workflows for Newspaper Digitization<https://youtu.be/joSrKpFiyng?si=1CTrOInWvr3SEdpQ> webinar, which has many helpful resources on planning a local newspaper digitization project.

Digital Michigan​ Newspaper Grant Program
Central Michigan University’s Clarke Historical Library is pleased to offer a grant award to improve access to a Michigan newspaper. Applications for 2024 will be accepted from January 09 - January 31, 2024. Read more about the grant and application requirements here.<https://www.cmich.edu/research/clarke-historical-library/services/digmich-newspaper-preservation/digmich-news-grant/grant-application>

This grant is made possible by the Robert and Susan Clarke Endowment with additional funding provided in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library of Michigan.

Microfilming and Digitization Vendors
Note: This is for information only. The Library of Michigan cannot endorse specific vendors or brands. Libraries should contact vendors and other experts for advice and to ensure that their choice reflects the unique needs of that library.

Vendor: Backstage Library Works
9 S Commerce Way
Bethlehem, PA 18017
Contact: Lori (Swain) Burt
(801) 342-5690 (voice)
Email: lburt at bslw.com<mailto:lburt at bslw.com>
www.bslw.com<http://www.bslw.com/>

Vendor: Clarke Historical Library
Preservation Microfilming
250 Preston St.
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859
Contact: Megan Farrell
(989)774-4420 (voice)
Email: megan.farrell at cmich.edu<mailto:megan.farrell at cmich.edu>
www.clarke.cmich.edu<http://www.clarke.cmich.edu/>

Vendor: Creekside Digital
5200 Glen Arm Road, Suite Q
Glen Arm, MD 21057
(443) 213-0335 (voice)
(443) 290-7172 (fax)
email: info at creeksidedigital.com
www.creeksidedigital.com<http://creeksidedigital.com/>

Vendor: Crowley Digitization Services
5111 Pegasus Court, Suite M
Frederick, MD 21704
(240) 215-0224 (voice)
(240) 215-0234 (fax)
Email: webrequest at thecrowleycompany.com<mailto:webrequest at thecrowleycompany.com>
www.thecrowleycompany.com<http://www.thecrowleycompany.com/>

Vendor: Graphic Sciences
4208 Normandy Court
Royal Oak, MI 48073
Tim Gingster:
248-449-6600 (voice)
800-397-6620 (voice)
Email: timg at gsiinc.com<mailto:timg at gsiinc.com>
www.scanittoday.com<http://www.scanittoday.com/>

Vendor: Innovative Document Imaging LLC
410 New Brunswick Ave.
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
(732) 613-7170 (voice)
(732) 613-2788 (fax)
Email: jbaron at idiimage.com
www.idiimage.com<http://www.idiimage.com/>

Vendor: Iron Mountain
Ryan Athey
614-571-6218 (voice)
Email: ryan.athey at ironmountain.com
https://www.ironmountain.com/

Vendor: Kirtas Technologies, Inc.
7620 Omnitech Place
Victor, NY 14564
Howard Higgins
585-924-2420 x3057 (voice)
Email: hhiggins at kirtas.com<mailto:hhiggins at kirtas.com>
www.kirtas.com<http://www.kirtas.com/>

Biz Gallo

Statewide Digitization Initiatives Coordinator

Library of Michigan, 702 W. Kalamazoo, Lansing, MI 48915
GalloB at michigan.gov<mailto:GalloB at michigan.gov> | mi.gov/LMdigitization<http://mi.gov/LMdigitization> | 517-335-1402

she/her/hers

The Michigan School Meals program allows for all public school students, grades Pre-K to 12, to eat breakfast and lunch for free. Learn more<https://www.michigan.gov/mde/services/food/michigan-school-meals>.