[Michlib-l] Seed library solicitation language?

Pam Quackenbush pquackenbush at ltpl.org
Wed Jan 24 12:40:27 EST 2024

Hi Mary,
On the MI Seed Library Network website, under the Resources>Seed Libraries
tab, there is a document called Sourcing Seeds for your seed library. I
have added a template letter to that document that can be customized to
your needs.
https://miseedlibrary.org/?page_id=22
When asking for donations, it is important to keep a few things in mind:
You are asking for seeds that didn't sell the prior year or years.
Seed companies are often overwhelmed with requests, so be patient.
Almost all seed companies ask you to pay shipping, and it can be quite
steep, especially if you don't have a budget for your seed library.
You do not get to choose which seeds you get, and you might get hybrid
seeds that aren't good for seed saving. Still distribute them but mark the
packets as not for seed saving.
I hope this helps you secure some great donations!
Pam Quackenbush

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 11:17 AM Mary K O'Kelly via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> We’re starting our first seed library and are short on seeds. I’d like to
> send out some notes asking seed companies if they have any of last year’s
> packets left (I know we’re a bit late on this) and I’m wondering if any of
> you with more established programs have sample language you can send me.
> I’ve already put us in the MI Seed Library Network, but I recognize we need
> to go broader than that. I’d also welcome any other tips and advice you can
> share!
>

> Thanks,
>
> Mary
>

> *Mary O’Kelly, MLIS*
>
> Associate Dean for Education and User Services
>
> University Libraries - Western Michigan University
>
> mary.okelly at wmich.edu

Pam Quackenbush
Lyon Township Public Library
27005 Milford Road