[Michlib-l] Summer Reading - thank you

Leslie Warren lwarren at nmu.edu
Mon Jun 17 15:53:27 EDT 2024

To all of you who work so hard to provide summer reading programs and
encourage reading throughout the year, thank you. You do important work.

Higher education is struggling with our students' reading problems. This
article from the Chronicle of Higher Education summarizes the issue. I'm
sure it would be worse if it weren't for the work of public and school
libraries.

Is This the End of Reading?
Article | The Chronicle of Higher Education (May 9, 2024)
https://www.chronicle.com/article/is-this-the-end-of-reading

Academics across the country are talking about the reading problems they
are seeing among traditional-age students. Many, they say, don’t see the
point in doing much work outside of class. Some struggle with reading endurance
and weak vocabulary. A lack of faith in their own academic abilities leads
some students to freeze and avoid doing the work altogether.

And a significant number of those who do the work seem unable to analyze
complex or lengthy texts. Their limited experience with reading also means
they don’t have the context to understand certain arguments or points of
view.

Again, thank you.

Leslie

Leslie A. Warren
Dean | Library and Instructional Support
Northern Michigan University
906-227-2920
1401 Presque Isle Ave, Marquette, MI 49855
*Pronouns: she, her, hers*

*Northern Michigan University is located on the ancestral homelands of the
Anishinaabe, Three Fires Confederacy, anhonored alliance of the Ojibwe,
Odawa, and Bodewadmik (Potowatomi) peoples*.