[Michlib-l] Hollywood Blockbuster Virtual Program

getzink at libcoop.net getzink at libcoop.net
Tue Jun 18 09:24:54 EDT 2024

Hi Mich-Lib!

This Wednesday the 19th we are hosting a virtual presentation all about
the Hollywood Blockbuster, focusing specifically on Spielberg's and
Lucas' films, at 6:30pm.

Who doesn't love action and adventure movies? Join us as we discuss some
of the great blockbusters with Brian Rose, professor emeritus at Fordham
University. Hollywood is an industry that has always depended on
blockbusters, beginning with The Birth of a Nation and continuing with
epics like Gone with the Wind, The Ten Commandments, and The Sound of
Music. But beginning in 1974, two young filmmakers, Steven Spielberg and
George Lucas, would together change the way the movie industry made
movies. Spielberg's Jaws and Lucas' Star Wars (neither of which was
predicted to be a hit) helped launch the careers of the most influential
directors of our time. Whether they were making films together (like
Indiana Jones) or separately (E.T., Jurassic Park, The Empire Strikes
Back), they introduced the age of the "modern blockbuster," which
featured elaborate special effects and thrilling spectacle. This
presentation will look at their four decades of filmmaking and discuss
how they changed the movies.

Topic: Adventures in Movies
Time: Jun 19, 2024 06:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85660575891?pwd=4knCaRBCjA7p3bJ0tSsrm7N8LZ25AP.1

Meeting ID: 856 6057 5891
Passcode: 415326