[Michlib-l] Job Opportunity: MacDonald Public Library Director

Tonya Ryals director at macdonaldlibrary.org
Mon Jun 24 18:33:10 EDT 2024

Hello everyone,

The MacDonald Public Library is hiring for a new director! Please see the
posting below. If you have any questions, please let me know.

The MacDonald Public Library Board is seeking a forward-thinking, hands-on
leader as their new Library Director. The MacDonald Public Library is the
municipal library of New Baltimore, Michigan—located in Macomb County on
the north shore of Lake St. Clair. MacDonald is a member of the Suburban
Library Cooperative. It is a Class IV library serving over 16,000
residences in the City of New Baltimore and Casco township. It has 5
full-time and 10 part-time employees with an annual operating budget of
$600,000 from a dedicated millage.

The Library is excited to begin a strategic planning process with our
contracted partners. The Library Director will take the lead in
coordinating with our partners and collaboratively developing and
implementing the strategic plan. The Library Director advances the mission
of the Library with the guidance of the Board. This includes promoting
access to the Library, ensuring excellent customer service, and promoting
library services to the community.

The MacDonald Public Library prides itself on providing:

·       Community involvement and a welcoming environment

·       Excellent service

·       Extensive and varied programs

·       Diversity and inclusion

The ideal candidate has at least three years of personnel management
experience and at least two years of budget management experience.
Experience utilizing both QuickBooks Online and Polaris is preferred but
not required. The ideal candidate enjoys and values:

·       Communicating with others, including patrons, staff, and trustees,
verbally and in writing

·       Listening to and valuing the input of others

·       Staying current on trends in the field

·       Engaging in professional development

·       Providing pathways to continuing education for staff members

·       Understanding, utilizing, and staying current on technology

·       Acting as a mentor to staff members

·       Being a hands-on leader who regularly engages in all levels of
library work

·       Providing a space for all through steadfast, patient leadership

The Director reports to a Board of Trustees but must perform work with a
high level of autonomy.

*Minimum Qualifications*

·       Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited school

·       Permanent Professional Certificate from the Library of Michigan, as
required by State law for a Class IV library, or the ability to obtain such
a certificate within six months of date of hire

·       Three years of professional public library experience which
demonstrates abilities in management, budgeting, planning, and supervision

·       Completion of a successful background check

*Duties and Responsibilities*

The Director is responsible for:

·       Understanding our community’s needs

·       Using this knowledge to refine the Library’s mission and the role
of librarians in our community

·       Creating and implementing a strategic plan that supports our mission

·       Building a strong team who enjoys executing this strategic plan

·       Being the “face” of the library to our community

·       Administering the daily operations of all Library functions,
including budget management, personnel supervision, overseeing building
operations, and promoting the library in the community

·       Working closely with the Board of Trustees

*Compensation*

Minimum salary of $62,000, maximum salary of $75,000 depending upon
qualifications and experience. Full benefit package includes generous sick
leave, paid time-off, health care, dental, vision and MERS retirement.

*Application Process*

Please respond with a cover letter, resume and three professional
references to hr at macdonaldlibrary.org.

Application Closing Date: July 14, 2024

Job Type: Full-time

Pay: $62,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year

--
*Tonya Ryals*
she/her; they/them

**Please note that I am currently serving the library in an interim
capacity; as such, my hours are limited and may be outside of regular
business hours. My responses may be slightly delayed as a result. Do not
feel obligated to respond to me outside of your regular working hours.**

*Interim Director*
MacDonald Public Library
36480 Main St, New Baltimore, MI 48047
(586) 725-0273