[Michlib-l] Volunteer Screening

Amy Abele amy at bridgmanlibrary.com
Tue Jun 25 14:00:01 EDT 2024

We have been receiving an abundance of applications from folks who want to
volunteer at the library, which is great!  But because we only have so many
things volunteers can help with, we are finding we need to be more
selective.  Not to mention, having a more formal screening process would
probably be beneficial. Can you give me insight into your library process
for taking on volunteers?

   - What kind of application/screening process do you use to choose your
   volunteers?
   - Do you have them complete a shelving test?
   - Do you require an in-person interview?
   - Is your process the same for both adults and teenagers?
   - What jobs do you give the teens to do?
   - Are most of your volunteers on a regular schedule or do you call them
   as needed?

Your feedback is appreciated!

Feel free to reply here or send your response to amy at bridgmanlibrary.com

Thanks!