[Michlib-l] Cell Phone Charging Cords/Stations

Bret Boulter bboulter at tadl.org
Mon Mar 4 09:45:20 EST 2024

What Grace Galvan describes is exactly what we do. It's a very useful
service and this process seems to work quite well.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024 at 9:40 AM Grace Galvan via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> One library I worked at made them into in-house use kits. It was a small
> zippered bag with a barcode on it. Then the patron would check it out for
> it to be used in house only. We would tell the patron, it's for in house
> use only. The kits would come with the bag, a charging block and a cord.
>

> I've seen other libraries laminate barcodes to attach to the cord with a
> zip tie. Then the patron could give us their ID or card for us to hold
> until they return it. We would explain it was in house use only and they
> get their ID back when they returned the cord and block.
> ---
> Grace Galvan (she/her)
>
> User Experience Librarian - Shelby Township Library
> 52610 Van Dyke Ave.
> Shelby Township, MI 48316
> Phone: 586-726-2341
> MLIS- University of Denver
>
> “Librarians save lives: by handing the right book, at the right time, to a
> kid in need”
> ― Judy Blume
>

> On 2024-03-02 04:58 PM, Jessica Bostian via Michlib-l wrote:
>
> Good afternoon Michigan libraries!
>
> If anyone has experience with providing cell phone charging cords for
> in-house use, or one of the various cell phone charging stations/devices, I
> would appreciate any information you can provide me.
>
> I like the idea of having a large charging station that is all-inclusive,
> but the prices can be very high. Individual charging cords are much
> cheaper; however, and I am curious if there's an effective way to keep
> these items from disappearing.
>
> Thank you, and have a great weekend everyone!
>

> *Jessica Bostian*
>
> Assistant Manager/Librarian III
>
> Detroit Public Library
>
> Social Science, Education & Religion
>
> Business, Science & Technology
>
> 5201 Woodward Ave.
>
> Detroit, MI 48202
>
> jbostian at detroitpubliclibrary.org
>
> 313-481-1403

Bret R Boulter
he/him/his
Facilities Manager
Traverse Area District Library
bboulter at tadl.org
231-932-8522 (desk)
231-409-9656 (mobile)

*Currently reading "**The Art of Logic in an Illogical World" **by Eugenia
Cheng*