[Michlib-l] Library Student

michelle wise michellew1989 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 6 17:14:04 EST 2014

I am currently signed up to take my summer semester classes, which would finish off my MLIS degree if I stopped there. My questions are: do you have certificates with your degree, do you or did you have much experience before-hand, and does your library look at certificates OR experience more when it comes to hiring?

I am an online student at Wayne State University. The two certificates I was planning on getting are {Library Services to Children and Adults, Public} and {Information Management for Librarians-Web Design and Development}. Each certificate is basically (one semester) 4 months of effort and $4,400- is it worth it? I would love to be a Teen Librarian in a public library with some web elements.

If you wouldn't mind adding your position/Title with your comments, please do. Any recommendations would be very helpful.

Thank you,

                        ~Michelle Wise~