[Michlib-l] torrenting wireless policies/suggestions?

Bruce MacDonald bmacdona at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 16:00:31 EDT 2015

Using your connection to pirate movies not only slows your network, but
could land a library in hot water with the RIAA, who can report the
activity to your internet service provider.

Even though our wifi requires no password, we do have a "captive portal"
system in place to display our wireless policy. There are many other
options to do this.
http://www.securedgenetworks.com/security-blog/Why-is-captive-portal-important-for-wireless-guest-access

In the mean-time, you can dig into the settings in your wireless router. I
believe you will be able to disable torrenting. Even though there are some
legit uses for torrenting files, the vast majority is not traffic you want
on your network, and you can possibly deal with exceptions as they come up
(if they come up at all).
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20483/~/set-up-a-netgear-router-to-block-access-to-certain-websites

It sounds as though your staff machines are maybe using the same network
connection and hardware as your public machines, and wifi. This could also
create security headaches, and you have already seen with bandwidth needs
for your ILS strained. Your network should be segmented, with each segment
inaccessible to the other. This can be done virtually or physically. There
are expensive and inexpensive ways to do it.
https://www.techsoupforlibraries.org/cookbook-3/networking-and-security/bandwidth-management

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce A. MacDonald
Assistant Director / Head of Circulation
Peter White Public Library
Marquette, Michigan