[Michlib-l] solutions for weeding and book sale leftovers

lois-sez lois-sez at lois-sez.com
Mon Oct 15 20:29:29 EDT 2018

I'm a big lover of Better World Books, so I was disturbed to see your message about them stopping library weeding and book sale leftovers.  Not only do I support their work in literacy, those ex libris books are often most easily found there.  As a result I went to their website to see what they're saying officially.  After that I have some additional suggestions.
 This is BWB's list of limitations:

Thank you for following our Material Guidelines. By following these guidelines, you help us reduce our carbon footprint while minimizing transportation, warehousing, and processing costs. As a result, we are committed to making the process as simple as possible while striving to offer our free service to as many libraries as possible.

Here are our guidelines for what to ship versus recycle locally:  Send to Better World Books:   	Books and Monographs 	Rare Books (See Antiquarian & Rare) 	Children's Books 	College Textbooks (published within 10 years) 	Foreign Language Books 	Fiction and Nonfiction (hardcover and paperback) 	DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs 	Audiobooks on CD 	Video Games 	Playaways

Note: Media must be unlocked and include original case and artwork.  Do Not Send to Better World Books:   	Any books/items which do not meet the Condition Requirements below. 	Children's Activity Books and Workbooks 	Annuals and Yearbooks 	Audio Cassettes, VHS Tapes, LP Records, & Computer Software 	Books Published by Magazines (ex: Reader's Digest Condensed and Time-Life Books) 	Britannica and World Books Encyclopedia 	Case Law and Procedural Books 	Custom Course Packets 	Dated Reference Material (published within 10 years) 	Directories and Telephone Books 	Duplicate Copies (in excess of 20 copies per title) 	Free Copies, Examination Copies or Advanced Reading Copies 	Journals and Periodicals (ex: Literary Criticisms) 	Microfilm and Microfiche 	Newspapers and Magazines (ex: National Geographic) 	Non-Western Script Books 	Tax and Government Documents or Forms
 Condition Requirements

Books must be free of mildew, mold/mould, excessive dust and dirt. In addition, books cannot have water damage, nor should they exhibit excessive spine damage,have missing pages or missing covers. Please leave any library treatments intact. No part of the book's pages should be removed with scissors or razor blades. For media, sets must be complete and cannot be missing the original case art.

****

My personal suggestion for books that don't meet their guidelines will take a bit of work recycling, but possibly your Friends, Scouts, or another group will be willing to help.  The Abitibi paper recycling bins are now owned by Rumpke Recycling. https://www.rumpke.com/recycling  Removing the covers may be sufficient, but if not running them through a saw will reduce the pages to just paper without the glued spine.
 	 		 			 			Lois Sprengnether Keel
			http://www.LoiS-sez.com
 			and blog at http://www.StorytellingResearchLois.com
			Storyteller in MI Arts & Humanities Directory
			and in Historical Society of Michigan Directory
			http://hsmichigan.org/resources/storytellers-speakers-performers/storyteller-lois-sprengnether-keel/
			State Liaison for National Storytelling Network
			Webmaster for http://michiganstorytelling.org/