[Michlib-l] Determining Residency and Millages for Public Library Cards

Rawson Library Director director at rawsonlibrary.org
Fri Feb 14 12:11:03 EST 2020

Hi,
One of our awesome librarians found this path to information - most
importantly a clear listing of the township for the patron, which is the
information we used the most from American Fact Finder.

   - Go to tigerweb.geo.census.gov
   - Next to the home tab, click on TIGERweb Applications.
   - On the left side of the screen, click on TIGERweb again right under
   Applications.
   - On the left side of the map (under the layers tab), select (check)
   "transportation" and "places and county subdivisions".
   - Then type an address in the search bar (no need for the zip code). You
   have to click on the magnifying glass beside the address or hit "enter".
   This will give you the address right below what you typed. You must click
   on that blue highlighted address for it to take you to your results. The
   township is listed on the left side of the map.

I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Ruth Steele and Pam Wright, awesome librarian!

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:06 PM Adrianne Schinkai via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> In the past, my library has used American Factfinder
> <https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml> to help
> determine where millages are paid and how classifications for residency are
> determined for our library cards. We were basically able to punch in an
> applying patron’s address into the system
> <https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/searchresults.xhtml?refresh=t>
> and based on the Economic Place results, we were able to easily determine
> the classification.
>
> However, American Factfinder is going offline on March 31st and we are
> having some issues with navigating the Census Data website thus far. As I
> am waiting to hear a reply from the Census Data website of whether this
> feature will be part of the migration or going obsolete, we are exploring
> other options, such as working with Google Maps. Nothing is showing the
> ease of access we are hoping for thus far.
>
> Would anyone mind sharing their foolproof go to for determining residency
> and where mileages are paid?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
> --
> Adrianne M. Schinkai
>
>    - Head of Reference and Circulation Services
>    - Vicksburg District Library, Vicksburg, MI
>    - Work Email <aschinkai at vicksburglibrary.org>
>    - Personal Email <amschinkai at gmail.com>
>    - LinkedIn Account <https://www.linkedin.com/in/amschinkai/>

Ruth Steele, Director