[Michlib-l] Upcoming Zoom Event at BPL - Women of Opposite Sides of the Law

Mick Howey mick.howey at baldwinlib.org
Tue Jan 12 12:38:26 EST 2021

Dear Michlib-l,

Please join us at 7:00 pm on January 13, 2021 as we host the authors D.M.
Testa and Shayne Davidson’s event Women on Opposite Sides of the Law.

Please find the event description below:

Three smart, independent women, two who were criminal attorneys and one who
was a career criminal, stood on opposite sides of the law, yet they
confronted many of the same challenges and discrimination, persevering in a
world where men made up the rules. Jessie Levy and Bess Robbins defended
six members of the infamous John Dillinger gang in the early 1930s. Sophie
Lyons was one of the most notorious female criminals of the nineteenth
century. Testa and Davidson will discuss these three women who spent their
lives on opposite sides of the law; what they had in common, how society
viewed their chosen fields and the cultural forces which drove them.
Through their own intriguing stories, we’ll answer how they succeeded in
places where women normally weren’t welcome. D.M. Testa is the author of
“Defending the Dillinger Gang: Jessie Levy and Bess Robbins in the
Courtroom” and Shayne Davidson authored “Queen of the Burglars: The
Scandalous Life of Sophie Lyons.”

Please tap https://bit.ly/3pSMBdr to register for the free program which
will be via Zoom. Thanks and hope that you can make it!

Best,

Mick Howey

Adult Services Librarian

Baldwin Public Library