[Michlib-l] Air Fryer in Library of Things?

Paula Drummond drummond at ypsilibrary.org
Tue Feb 27 14:28:52 EST 2024

Hi Barb, this is Paula at the Ypsilanti District Library. We have an Air
Fryer in our LOT collection, it has been quite popular, in fact. It's a 4
quart Ninja AF 101 model. You are correct to be concerned about cleanliness
with LOT items, but it has not been a big problem with this product here as
of yet. Currently, a librarian checks over each LOT item between circs for
cleanliness, damages, missing parts, etrc. We don't check the item back in
until we are sure it is good to go.  The only thing I have ever had to do
with the Air Fryer is to wash the basket part with some dish soap to get
rid of a bit of grease. But it was not bad, other items have come back in
much worse shape than this. It seems to be holding up well so far. My
husband checked it out recently in fact and made fried chicken and french
fries in it, both turned out well. He said it was pretty easy to use.
That's been our experience.  We do consider ease of cleaning as one
consideration when purchasing items for our LOT collection; as I recall
when trying to decide which air fryer to buy, you can find information
about ease of cleaning in places like Consumer Reports.   Good luck with
your LOT collection!

On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 1:33 PM Barbara Beaton via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello MichLib-L follks!
>
> We have a small library of things in which the only cooking related items
> are an ice cream maker and cookie cutters and cake pans.  We've received a
> request to acquire an Air Fryer.  Our budget is small so before spending a
> lot of time considering this, I thought I'd ask for input from any other
> libraries which have such items.  Are they durable enough for ongoing
> checkout?  Do they come back clean?  If not, how is that situation handled?
>
> Thanks for any wisdom you can toss my way!
>
> Barbara
>
> Barbara Beaton
>
> Assistant Director/Reference Librarian
>
> Milan Public Library