[Michlib-l] HELP!! I'm now paying attention lol

AD Jeffrey Babbitt dorjb at llcoop.org
Wed Jun 1 16:13:49 EDT 2022

Hi Joann,

I recently asked our attorney about a similar dog issue. Here is what she said:

It is important to note in the beginning that “serviced animal” (only dogs and miniature horses) must be permitted in the Library but “comfort animals” are not required to be allowed by federal or state law. The ADA defines a service animal as “any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.” 28 CFR 36.104. To qualify as a service dog, the work or tasks performed by the dog must be “directly related to the individual's disability.” Id.

If the Library is not sure whether an animal is a service animal, the ADA permits the public entity to ask only two questions: (1) whether the animal is required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task the animal has been trained to perform. 28 CFR 35.136 (f). A public entity may not, however, “ask about the nature or extent of a person's disability,” or “require documentation, such as proof that the animal has been certified, trained, or licensed as a service animal.” Id. Relatedly, the ADA does not specifically require that the disabled individual have a medical note or prescription

A public entity may ask an individual with a disability to remove a service animal from the premises if, “(1) the animal is out of control and the animal's handler does not take effective action to control it; or (2) The animal is not housebroken.” 28 CFR 35.136(b)(2). Further, an animal is not considered to be “under the control of its handler,” unless is has a “harness, leash, or other tether.” 28 CFR 36.302(c)(4). Therefore, a public entity may exclude a service animal from its premises if the animal is not on a leash or harness.

If the animal is not a dog or miniature horse, the animal can be excluded. If it is a dog, I would approach the patron and ask the two questions.

Jeffrey Babbitt, MLIS
Director
Dorr Township Library
1804 Sunset Dr.